Burglary and theft are property crimes that can have devastating consequences on an individual's future if the accused person is ultimately convicted of these crimes.
According to Colorado criminal law:
- Burglary is the criminal act of breaking into a building, structure or locked container owned by another individual (or party) with the intent of committing another crime, whether that be theft or a violent crime, such as assault.
- Theft is the criminal act of intentionally and permanently depriving another individual (or party) of money or valuables that are rightfully his. Theft may also be referred to as larceny and can be classified as petty theft or grand theft, depending on the value of goods allegedly stolen.
Burglary and theft charges are extremely serious, and the resulting penalties for such charges upon conviction will be particularly harsh if:
- A weapon was used during the course of the alleged crime.
- Anyone was injured (or killed) during the course of the alleged crime.
- The alleged victim was an at-risk adult or was an individual (or entity) who trusted you, such as an employer.
- The alleged burglary or theft occurred repeatedly over a period of time (rather than being a one-time incident).
- The accused individual has a criminal record (particularly if that record includes prior property crimes convictions).
Property Crimes Defense Lawyers
At LFM Defense, our Colorado burglary, theft and grand larceny lawyers have a proven track record of successfully defending our clients against a range of property crimes charges, including:
- First-degree, second-degree and third degree burglary charges
- Petty and grand theft charges (Grand theft charges are usually filed in cases when more than $400 is alleged to have been stolen.)
- Vehicle theft charges
- Theft classified as a white collar crime, including money laundering and identity theft
- Credit card theft
If you or a loved one has been charged with any property crime, it will be critical that you have an experienced defense lawyer on your side in order to ensure the best possible outcome to your case. The skilled Colorado criminal defense lawyers at LFM Defense focus exclusively on state and federal criminal defense. We strive to obtain the best possible resolutions for our clients' criminal cases using innovative as well as time-tested strategies. To do this, we rely on our thorough knowledge of the criminal justice system attained through more than three decades of combined criminal practice. We know the police, prosecutors and judges, and they know our reputation for excellence.
Our unflinching commitment to our clients, as well as our extensive legal knowledge and experience, allow us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible defense so they can resolve their cases as favorably and efficiently as possible. To learn more about your legal rights and receive professional advice regarding your case, let's talk about it by sending us a message at the bottom of the screen or call us at (720) 644-5342.