The skilled Colorado criminal appeals lawyers at LFM Defense are dedicated to building the accused the strongest possible defense cases.
While being convicted of a crime can be a significant setback in a person's defense case, it's important for these individuals to remember that:
- A conviction is not necessarily permanent.
- Appealing the conviction may be an option in some cases.
- An experienced Colorado criminal appeals lawyer can help mount a successful appeal that may result in either a re-trial or the case being dismissed against the individual.
Unlike with criminal trial proceedings, the appeals process happens mainly through extensive paperwork (legally known as briefs), rather than an official proceedings in which evidence is presented before a judge. While an appeals brief will need to be concise and specific, it will also need to:
- Cite recent case law.
- Comply with specific technical requirements (including font size, paper size, binding requirements, etc.).
- Be submitted to the court within a specific period of time following the conviction.
- Point out the specific grounds for the appeal that apply to the particular case.
Grounds for an appeal typically include:
- Errors in admitting evidence
- Evidence entered for the case that should not have been considered
- Failure of the prosecutor or another party to follow legal procedures
- Invalid or unconstitutional arguments made by a prosecutor
- Errors in instructing the jury at any point of the trial.
Assistance Winning an Appeal
If you or a loved one has been convicted of any crime and need assistance appealing that conviction, it will be critical that you have an experienced defense lawyer on your side in order to ensure the best possible outcome to your case. The skilled Colorado criminal defense lawyers at LFM Defense focus exclusively on state and federal criminal defense and appeals. We strive to obtain the best possible resolutions for our clients' criminal cases using innovative as well as time-tested strategies. To do this, we rely on our thorough knowledge of the criminal justice system attained through more than three decades of combined criminal practice. We know the police, prosecutors and judges, and they know our reputation for excellence.
Our unflinching commitment to our clients, as well as our extensive legal knowledge and experience, allow us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible defense so they can resolve their cases as favorably and efficiently as possible. To learn more about your legal rights and receive professional advice regarding your case, let's talk about it by sending us a message at the bottom of the screen or call us at (720) 644-5342.